Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mornings

I've known for years that being sure to spend time with the Lord and reading the bible is very important to my Christian walk.  Without it there really isn't much of a walk.  But for years I had struggled with being consistent in my daily bible reading.  Finally I was able to get my bible reading to 5 days a week.  (Saturdays and Sundays I didn't usually get to it)  For awhile I would read my bible while eating breakfast.  That worked for a few years.  I figured while I strengthen myself physically I would strengthen myself spiritually.  After the birth of my fourth child I was able to spend time when the baby was taking a morning nap which was about an hour after breakfast.  This was a good habit to be in however, I had little ones running around and would have to stop often to clear a squabble or dry tears from a boo-boo.  I asked the Lord to give me grace as I did what I could to spend time in His Word.  I believe He did and was happy at my hunger for His Word. 

At a women's bible study I went to a few weeks ago, a women was talking about how she has been spending more time with the Lord and it has been glorious.  She'll spend up to a couple hours reading the Word, praying and praising God.  She said the Lord wakes her up at 3:30 AM and has been for quite some time now but only in the past few months has she actually gotten up.  I was thinking what you're probably thinking. 3:30 AM!!!  That's really early!  Spending time with the Lord sounds great but sleep is nice too. 

It was only a couple days after that I realized God has been waking me up early and wanting me to get up to spend time with Him as well.  Thankfully NOT 3:30 AM though. J  It's more like 6:30 or 6:45.  I never wanted to get up because I didn't want to wake the kids.  I cherish the quite moments when my kids are sleeping.  Especially all of them at the same time.  However, I remember looking at my journals I've been keeping for the last 12yrs and I saw a reaccuring theme of the Lord wanting me to get up and spend time with Him in the morning.  Getting up first thing is giving Him the first fruits of our time for that day.  God wants our first fruits.  Not just the time we have left over or whenever we can squeeze Him in our overpacked schedule.  Jesus got up early in the morning and secluded himself from others to pray. (Mark 1:35, Luke 4:42)  He knew the importance of spending time with the Lord early in the morning.  I had to ask myself what do I cherish more, spending time with the Lord and taking the chance at waking up the kids or sleeping in.  So a few days ago I got up.  I said, "Lord, if I get up and spend time with you will you please keep the kids asleep."  It's only been a few days but He has granted me that prayer.  It's been amazing how much better I can hear the Lord speak to me.  I can organize my thoughts and everything seems much clearer without the interruptions.  So much more can get accomplished in a smaller amount of time.  I've also found that the time I used to have set aside for bible reading I can now do housework or spend time with the kids.  It seems weird having that space in there now and quite honestly I really don't miss the sleep that much.  I do have to be sure to get to bed at a reasonable time or it will effect me in the morning. 

This morning my husband and I both got up and read our bibles on our own and a little of the books we're reading.  After that I slipped outside.  It was so beautiful sitting out there.  The warmth of the sun felt so nice.  Not to warm, just right.  The green grass and trees, the blue sky and the squirrels and birds chattering in the trees.  It was a wonderful way to wake up.  It cleared my mind and made me so thankful for all the Lord has given me. Speaking from the heart of a stay-at-home and homeschooling mom, I strongly encourage all moms to take some time out early in the morning for the Lord which in return refreshes you.  If you have to, go for a walk if that's possible.  Just as long as your spending time in God's word and making Him the Lord of every part of your life.  That includes giving Him the first fruits of your time.  Forgive yourself if you don't always get up when you should and know His mercies are new every morning.  Just start fresh the next morning. 

I would love it if you could pray for me to be faithful at getting up every morning and spending time with the Lord.  I believe I will come to cherish the mornings.  I already do but I'm sure I will more and more and I believe you will cherish your morning times with Him as well.         

1 comment:

  1. "First Fruit" is very important. Nice insight.

    ReplyDelete