Saturday, February 23, 2013

In Comparison


I was reading a book several months and the author was explaining how comparing ourselves to each other is not wise. She made reference to II Corinthians 10:12, "When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves they are not wise." I had never noticed this verse in the bible before. As my week continued I was surprised by how often I used comparisons. I compared myself to other women, "Her hair is always so beautiful. Mine is pulled back all the time." "Her clothes are always so cute, way cuter then mine!" "I can't entertain guests as well as others. Why would they want to come to my house?" Then of course the mother in me compares my children to others. Especially when it comes to homeschooling. "I can't believe her 5yr old can read. My 5yr is still trying to figure out the alphabet. What am I doing wrong?" Or comparing our children to their siblings. "His/her sister did what I told her, why can't she/he." I learned that when I am using comparisons like these I am saying this thing or person I'm comparing to is the highest standard of measurement I know and I (or my children) need to measure up to this. Someone always comes up on top and can produce feelings of pride or false self worth in us. Someone also always comes out on bottom and makes us feel of little or no value or worth. As a Christian I know that the highest standard of measurement is God and His Word. My self worth comes from who I am in Christ, period! The world's values are backwards. "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight." I Corinthians 3:19a

The only measuring stick we should us is in what God's Word says about us and how we should live and act. God's way is the only way to go. He knows what's best for us. He created each of us with a specific plan and purpose. We need to go to Him and find out what that purpose is. He can also show us how to guide our children according to the purposes He has for them.

You are valuable in Christ.

Just because something doesn't look the same as everyone else doesn't mean it's not right. Now, we don't want to go to the extreme on this. Sometimes it is good to know a normal range of something. For example, it's good to know that by 18mths most children are walking. If your child isn't walking by then there may be a medical problem. Things like that are okay to have a standard.

Where we run into trouble is when we devalue ourself or someone else because we used a measuring stick other then what God says to use. We can sell ourselves short of God's plan by comparing ourselves to others or by trying to please people using their standard for us.

Joy, joy, joy!
Mary's pregnancy with Jesus didn't look like anyone else's pregnancy, Moses didn't fit the profile of a leader, John-the-Baptist was different than any other young man, Jesus didn't look like the King the Jews were waiting for,… The list can go on and on, yet God did something amazing with each one. These people knew full well they were not "normal" yet they did not allow man's standards to stop them from experiencing the incredible destiny God had for them. Their willing and obedient hearts caused them to make a difference for God's kingdom. Settle for nothing short of what God has purposed you for.

Use God's measuring stick and when we seem to fall short of that, God can give us the ability to press on. Love the unlovely. Be made strong despite our weaknesses.
            

No comments:

Post a Comment