Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Prayer for the body


With all the icky cold and flu sickness going around I've been praying a lot for everyone in my house to stay healthy and I've been praying for my friends who are sick. Praying for health for family and friends is a common prayer and a good one. It dawned on me that if I spent the same amount of time praying for the health of the body of Christ, the spiritual health of believers,... what kind of an outcome could that have for my city, state, nation and around the world? If even just 20 of us prayed that hard, what kind of impact would that have on those around us? I really believe if all us of would ban together and seriously pray for our cities, we would see revival in our towns and churches. The fire of the Holy Spirit would spread across this nation.


...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” I Chronicles 7:14


I know this is not a new idea but for me personally it really put things into perspective. I worry so much about the body but how much am I seeking God for the health of the spirit for myself and others? How often do I stand in the gap for my children's spiritual health? How often do I pray feverently? Sure, I do pray some for that, here and there but I really feel I need to do more.


Our bodies are so temporary, what's done for the spirit lasts forever. Of course God cares about our bodies and we need to take good care of ourselves but we...rather let me preach to myself here...I need to keep a better balance between focusing on the body and focusing on the spirit. There certainly is a time for both. It's so easy to get wrapped in your own world when you're sick or been having some health problems like I have been the last few months. I need to look outside health issues and refocus on spiritual things.


So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” II Corinthians 4:18


I know there are some people out there who are praying faithfully for the health of the Body of Christ. My hats off to you. Keep it up my dear prayer warriors. We need your faithful prayers. For those of who haven't been praying, I challenge us to do so even more. I know I pray for our nation pretty good when an election is coming up and sometimes a little afterwards too. After awhile though, my prayers for my country and it's leaders are a trickle at best. Let's not forget to continuously pray for God's Spirit to be poured out on this nation...and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment