Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Rose bushes



As of this summer my family and I have lived in our home for a year. We enjoy having our own home. We love the space and we love that we have a yard. I've been enjoying getting outside and learning how to garden flowers. There are two rose bushes on the side of the house that were flowering when we moved in last summer. I knew they hadn't been tended to in at least two or more years so I figured they must be a pretty hearty breed of roses. That gave me a little more confidence that I probably wouldn't kill them if I started learning how to garden on them. I read up on roses and watched some gardening shows but I'm still not sure I'm tending to them correctly. If anyone knows how to manage these hearty but beautiful flowers I'd love some tips.

Another thing growing when we moved in was a vine that was up the side of the house and covered one whole corner. There's no flowers, just a vine that grew out of neglect to the home. When we moved in we tore the vine off the house and thought we killed the root. However I'm noticing there's a vine weaving around my rose bush. I tried to pull out the root to the vine and carefully untangle the two plants but if I don't watch it, it's not long before there's another vine trying to wrap around my roses again.

It made me think of how fear can creep into my life. If I'm not watching for it, fear will ever so slyly weave all around and try to choke off the beauty of God's grace shining through me. Fear comes in so many forms that, like that vine, it can be there and we don't even realize it. Fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of man, fear of not having enough money or food, fear of illness, injury and sometimes even death. For ourselves or of a loved one. There are SO many fears out there. Just think of all those phobias you hear about. Some of them are of pretty strange things. The bible shows us the only fear we should have is the fear or reverence and awe of God. To fear God is wise.

The fear of the LORD is the foundation of true wisdom. All who obey His commandments will grow in wisdom. Praise him forever!
Psalm 111:10

Any other fear is NOT from God.

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. II Timothy 1:7

For you have not received a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you have received the spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry,”Abba, Father”
Romans 8:15

I often use biblos.com as an online resource to help me look things up in the bible. When I type in “fear not” I get 446 verses that say fear not. That doesn't even include the don't be afraid's and other ways the Lord tells us not to fear. Fear is NOT of God.

I was thinking the other day of the very famous 23rd Psalm. Verse 4 keep running through my head, “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.” I will fear no evil...NO EVIL. Wow! Really, when you think about it, that's strong trust in God. There is so much evil going on in the world. Turn on the news and you'll see that it's true. Local or national, it doesn't matter. It's everywhere and the closer you walk with God the more you recognize it. The only way we will fear no evil is to trust God in all things. Trust He's knows what He's doing. Trust that He is in control. Trust that He will fulfill the promise that says all things work together for good for those who love God. (Romans 8:28)

As for fear, let it have no power over you. We know that fear does not come from God. It comes from the devil and the world and we know Jesus has overcome the world (John 16:33) therefore, if you have been redeemed through the blood of Jesus fear has NO power over you. Cut down that vine at the root. Pull it out and don't let fear steal the beauty God has put in you. Instead be a beautiful fragrance to the Lord as you diligently tend the garden of your heart.

Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered Himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God. Ephesians 5:2

Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually. I Chronicles 16:11

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble . But take heart! I have overcome the world.  John 16:33

No comments:

Post a Comment