Saturday, January 12, 2013

Thankfulness


Normally you would see a post on thankfulness in November but I am a firm believer that thankfulness should be a way of life, all year long. Lately I've found myself being very thankful about things so I thought I'd do a post on it.

Thank You LORDI am thankful for my life. I'm thankful for every breath I breathe. To awake every morning as the sun lights the day, in a warm bed, next to a wonderful man. To put my feet on the floor and get out of bed with a healthy body. There are so many who don't have that luxury. After looking at the list of possibilities running through the doctors mind on what I could have, it made me appreciate life all the more. Seeing cancer on that list scared the daylights out of me. I think it's only natural for your mind to race down the road of what if's. Thankfully a road I don't actually have to walk down. It also tested my character. What was I going to do with my fear and concerns? I did the only thing I knew to do, cry out to God for help and strength. Our God is faithful. He came through and helped me and gave me strength. He reminded me to know who I am in Christ and always cling to the truths that are found in His Word. I am truly thankful for each new day.

I am thankful to be a mom of four beautiful children. To be able to stay home with all of them. To raise them and teach them in the ways of the Lord. Being a mom (or parent) is a hard job. Homeschooling is also a hard calling. But they are wonderful!!! I love that God called me to this. Of course I'm a real person (as you saw on my mothering reality post) and life has moments of frustration with the kids but at the end of the day, I'm glad God has me right where I am. I'm thankful He sees me through every step of the way. Guiding me on how to guide my children.

I heed the words of the women in the seasons of life beyond mine who say, “I wish my kids could be little again.” “Enjoy them being little while you can. They grow so fast.” It seems to be a universal theme among all women with older or grown children. Sometimes I take “snapshots” in my mind of the kids being cute. A few weeks ago my family and I had just finished our grocery shopping at Walmart and we were at the check outs by the little arcade. My kids always want to go in there but I rarely let them. My 3yr old daughter was pleading with me to go but I wouldn't let her. I was helping her get bundled up and she was saying, “ I AM big” over and over. I looked at her adorable big blue eyes under her knitted hat with a big flower on the side. Her cheeks still have the adorable little girl chubbiness to them and her little lips kept saying “I AM big”. Those are the type of little moments I try to cherish in my whirlwind of daily life with my kids.

I am thankful for this home of my own God gave my husband and I. Truly a blessing and a miracle. I'm thankful for the job God has provided for my husband. It has been a good fit for him. Marc getting that job was also a miracle that maybe I'll share with you someday.

I am thankful for the food I eat every day. Even more so now that I've learned about the gluten free diet. I have only been on this diet for 24 hours now and I already feel better. This morning I had gluten free pancakes. Normally I gobble down pancakes ( I do enjoy them so...) and then my stomach usually feels like it has a brick in it. The pancakes sludge through my digestive track, hurting every bit of the way. Then my energy bombs out on me after only an hour. Not this morning though! No sir! I had my pancakes, which were pretty good. They tasted a little like rice but I liked them. Then … no brick, no dive of energy, no sludging through my body and NO PAIN! I'm gonna say it again... NO PAIN! I am totally excited about that. In fact, I had no pain in my intestines and digestive track today! Did you know I've lived with that pain in my body for over 20 years now. No joke! You can see why I'm SO excited. The extra money it takes to buy the special food and extra time to research it all is SOOOO worth it to me.

One of the most special gifts to me that I am so thankful for, other then my salvation, is my husband. He is such a gift. I'm so glad I have him to walk with on this journey of our lives. He's a great protector and has many times spoken up for me when I was silent. He helps me with the kids and the housework. Our troubles are divided and our joys are truly doubled. I love his integrity, his walk with God and his ways that are so “outside of the box”. I love support he shows me. I love him and adore him. Thank you God for the precious gift of my husband and our marriage.

Live . . .The Lord has shown me that He wants us to enjoy the lives we live. We are His children and He loves us. What parent wouldn't want to give their children good gifts to enjoy? So as one of the things I wanted to work on this year, I want to enjoy my life more. To the fullest. Breathe in the moment and take a mental picture of the beauty that is there. Even if it's not a picture perfect moment. To not let life race past me and miss half of it but to learn to be still at times and very active at others, learn to laugh loudly and learn to play.

I want to pass on this heart of gratitude to my children whenever a chance presents itself. I saw a pin on pinterest that is a great idea for Valentines day. It's a Valentines tree of gratitude. You put some branches in a vase and sit down with your kids and write on hearts things you are thankful for. Then you put the hearts on the tree for the season. I love the visual reminder of this.


May we always remember to thank God for everything!
Valentine's day craft activity: gratitude tree  I like this.  Keeps thankfulness going throughout the year.

1 comment: