Friday, January 25, 2013

Skin deep



Today my eyes are being opened to how much I really judge on appearances. I'm talking about judging myself on my appearance and assuming others are doing the same. I seem to think if I look thin and beautiful to others I will have some sort of worth. This thinking is so wrong. That is backwards from what God's truth shows. Yet somehow this has been programed into me, probably at a very young age. In this culture and time women/girls especially get bombarded with this message that beauty = worth. SO UNTRUE!! Proverbs 31:30 says, “Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” That is completely opposite of what the world thinks but we need to reteach ourselves to think the way the Lord does. I thought I had but the Lord showed me I still need to work on this area.

I especially judge myself so harshly. I suppose most women do but I think it didn't help that at one time I was really wanting to do modeling and/or acting. I was with a modeling/talent agency in Omaha for awhile and did some modeling jobs (nothing print, which is what I was really hoping for) and took a few different acting and modeling classes. Through all of that the you-must-be-a-beautiful-skinny-minnie was imprinted even more on my brain...and my heart.

But the bible teaches that our worth is who we are in Christ which is why it is so important to know who you are in Christ. We are dearly loved by the Lord. Read Song of Solomon and remember that this is also a picture of how much the Lord loves us. We are the bride in this story. We are SO loved by Him. (That's a whole post in itself!)

The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at outward appearance but God looks at the heart.” I Samuel 16:7b

Who I am in ChristGod knows there is so much more going on on the inside of a person then you can ever see by just looking at someone's appearance. There is so much more depth on the inside. I know that yet I was still looking at myself (and sometimes others) and judging worth by appearance. The Lord showed it to me this way: You buy an apple for the juicy, crunchy, sweet, delicious fruit inside. What if you went to the store and bought a beautiful looking apple then when you got home and cut into that apple you found there was nothing inside. Just nothing, it was only skin. The apple has now lost it's appeal. What you want isn't there. The nutrients and purpose for the apple are non-existent. Your left flat and hollow. 

God wants what's inside of us to be full of nutrients and sweetness. To be able to share with others what is in your heart and they leave healthier and fuller because of it. If Christ and the Word of God are inside you that is what the people whose lives you touch will receive. A glass on it's own is empty. It's when you fill it that it becomes beneficial.

Must remember who I am in Christ!Judging my self worth by what the scale, mirror or my dress size says is SO wrong! I don't do it intentionally and I know better yet I still do it and have to watch myself to remember who I am in Christ.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment